Sunday, February 19, 2017
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/stop-battling-with-drugs-or-alcohol-find-an-addiction-treatment-center-near-you/
Addiction takes all that a person has in his life. Those who want take control of their lives should know about their addiction as much as possible.
The most common addictions encountered today are as follows:
- Tobacco – Tobacco contains nicotine. It is often overlooked as a harmful drug. This is because tobacco products are easily available and are legal. However, tobacco produces some of the worst side effects which occur slowly over time. The use of tobacco claims more lives than any other of the addictive substance. There are millions of smokers that want to quit but just can’t despite understanding the tole tobacco will take on their life.
- Alcohol – Drinking alcohol is socially accepted which makes alcohol addiction hard to spot. Alcohol abuse causes serious and deadly health problems and can also be highly addictive for some people. The consequences of alcohol abuse are numerous. Alcohol overdose, liver disease, and drunk driving claims thousands of lives every year.
- Marijuana – Marijuana has become more socially acceptable over the years and has even been legalized in several states. While mostly harmless for the majority of users, marijuana can be highly addictive for some people. This addiction can be destructive to the drug abuser’s work and family life.
- Painkillers – Drugs such as Codeine, Oxycontin and Vicodin are commonly prescribed for the treatment of excessive pain. The prescription for using painkillers does not make them any less addictive. Painkiller addiction can develop over time even from recommended and acceptable use. Many users of prescription painkillers become hopelessly addicted and don’t realize it until they attempt to stop using the drug.
- Cocaine – The rate of cocaine addiction is sustained at a constant rate. There has not been an increase in use for years. Crack cocaine, cheaply available and more intense than traditional cocaine is the reason for many ruined lives and crippling addictions.
- Heroin – The severe symptoms of heroine withdrawal make beating this addiction a very daunting task. The treatment of heroin addiction requires the combination of medications and therapy to help the management of symptoms for cravings and withdrawal. Not only is heroin use very dangerous and potentially deadly, there is also the risk of contracting life threatening diseases due to sharing needles with other users.
- Benzodiazepines – Benzodiazepines such as Xanax, Valium, Klonopin and Diazepam are prescribed as mood regulating drugs for managing conditions such as stress and anxiety. Benzodiazepines are especially dangerous due to their powerful effect on the brain’s chemical framework. Withdrawal can be a deadly without any medical assistance.
- Stimulants – Stimulants are one of the more common forms of addiction. They range from prescription drugs to illicit substances. These kinds of drugs are highly intense and addictive therefore, the withdrawal symptoms are quite difficult.
- Inhalants – Addiction to inhalants is very dangerous because these are volatile toxic substances. Effects of these substances are intense and they can have an immediate consequence including death of hospitalization. Chemicals absorbed through inhalants could linger in the brain and body long after discontinued use. This makes recovery much more difficult.
- Sedatives – Sedatives are commonly known as sleeping pills. They are used for the treatment of sleep disorders and tension. Their addiction can produce effects that could be mind altering leading to continued abuse.
Avoid using any kind of such addiction substances for a healthy life and your own good.
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/10-most-common-addictions-2017/
Addiction Treatment And Health Insurance
Not every drug addiction is the same. For that reason there are also many types of addiction treatment programs. People who are living with a dependence on drugs and medications have distinctive treatment options available to them. We are here to educate people about drug addiction treatment in an effort to help addicts find the right treatment program to help them kick the habit.
Many people who do not get treatment for their addiction say it because they do not have health insurance to cover the cost. In reality, the cost of addiction is much much higher. Drug addiction will not only take all the users money, but often their life. Getting treatment should be a priority at all costs.
There are two major types of drug addiction treatment:
- Inpatient – Inpatient treatment is ideal for anyone who needs to remove themselves from their family or social environment in order to be successful in recovery. This type of treatment isolates the patient for a period of time from their normal association so that the body can return to normal without outside triggers and influence. In this case the addicted person lives at the treat ment facility.
- Outpatient – Outpatient treatment can also be very effective while not having as large of an impact on the addicts life. In this case the patient can live at home. This allows them to keep their job. Outpatient treatment may be less effective though if the user is heavily and physically dependent on the substance.
Other Types Of Addiction Treatment
In addition to those two types, there are several other types of drug and alcohol treatment.
Some of them are as follows:
- Women Only Drug Rehabilitation – These facilities cater only to female patients. This creates a better environment for recovery if the woman was in an abusive relationship or just feels more comfortable in an all woman environment.
- Teens Only Drug Rehabilitation – If adolescence are addicted to drugs, they may have a better chance of recovery when in a program serving only other teens. Teens will be more comfortable and be able to relate more to their peers.
- Dual Diagnosis Drug Rehabilitation – People who are suffering from mental illness and drug addiction are known as dual diagnosis patients. They are considered to be high risk individuals. These addicts need special care from specialists trained to handle this type of scenario.
Drug Treatment Basics
Drug addiction is a very difficult but treatable disease. The drug user should try multiple treatments because there is no single treatment for everyone. The treatment should be specific to the addiction problems that the user has.
Drug treatment needs to be easily accessible without barriers due to the fact that many addicts are already apprehensive about seeking treatment. It’s also important that NO drugs are used during treatment.
Rehabilitation can provide an addict a safe environment where they can physically and mentally stabilize themselves without the use of drugs and alcohol.
Private insurance is much more expensive than public insurance. There are a number of private healthcare options available to people that cover rehab. The major benefit of private insurance is that the insured person has more control over their care. Private health insurance plans are paid for exclusively by the individual.
Public insurance is available through the insurance exchange. Fewer facilities are accessible through this type of insurance. However, public health care is more affordable and more common. There is even a chance that the drug addicts insurance may be completely subsidized through government programs so there is no cost at all to the patient.
When drug rehabilitation options are not available through an insurance plan there are some nonprofit organizations which can provide these services.
Regardless of your situation, if you or a loved one are addicted to drugs or alcohol, it is likely that there are options which can either partially or completely cover the cost of treatment.
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/does-health-insurance-cover-rehab/
Price Variables Of Attending Rehab
Drug addiction is a debilitating and persistent disease. Drug abuse can increase fanatical thinking and inhibit normal functioning of the brain. It can also deteriorate the drug users personality and alter their personal morals and values which may cause the drug abuser to do things they normally wouldn’t.
Despite the fact that these substances can cause serious harm, drug addicts continue to use until they are so hopelessly addicted that they can’t quit without outside intervention. Drug addiction learn to lie to themselves and embrace their condition, justifying and supporting their decision to use.
The Cost Of Treatment
Drug addictions vary from person to person and drug to drug. Every addict’s experience is different and so not every treatment option will be equally effective for an individual. The price will of course vary as well depending on the services and amenities being provided to the patient. Some rehab clinics are lavish, almost like staying at a resort, while others may feel more like a hospital. It’s important to consider budget before making a final treatment decision.
Economic Concerns About Rehab Costs
Some addicts justify their inaction regarding treatment of their disease by citing the perceived high cost of rehab treatment. They will say it’s simply too expensive and thus continue to use. They are not wrong that treatment is potentially very expensive. However, continuing to use will often cost an addict their life savings, relationships, and even their life.
Rehab treatment is the best option for recovery. And there are numerous ways to mitigate the high costs through insurance, payment plans, and state run facilities. Price should not be a factor when making the difficult decision to enroll or not enroll in rehab.
Rehabilitaion In North America
The United States has seen a significant increase in the cost of rehab over the years. While years ago most rehab clinics offered very standard facilities, time has seen an increase in more lavish establishments. This has resulted in an increase in the average costs. One of the most famous addiction treatment provided is US is Hazelden. Promises Treatment Centers is a popular facility in the US among celebrities. There is also Meadows Clinic located in Arizona.
Categories Of Addiction Treatment
There are various types of addiction treatment and their costs vary from one to another. The kinds of treatment include Detox, which needs extra care for monitoring which can increase costs. Two other categories of rehab are inpatient and outpatient treatment. Inpatient is a type of treatment in which the patient lives at the treatment center for a period of days or weeks while outpatient treatment allows the patient to live at home during treatment. One or the other may be a better option depending on the individuals unique situation.
Some other items that can influence costs are:
- Medications needed
- Frequency and length of treatment
- Type of addiction
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/how-much-does-addiction-treatment-cost/
What is intervention?
An intervention is a dialog between a drug or alcohol addict and the addict’s family or loved ones. Often, these conversations are supervised by a specialist who directs the conversation in the right direction. The purpose of an intervention is to allow the addict and family members express themselves in a productive manner.
Why intervention is important?
Intervention is one of the most important steps for rehabilitation. It is important to have a structured dialogue to prevent the interaction from degrading into blaming, arguing, and yelling. It may get very difficult to convince the addict to express himself or herself again. An open conversation that goes in the right direction will produce the right results and guide the addict towards recovery.
Staging an intervention
Setting up an intervention is important to make sure that it yields the desired results.
- Setting up the intervention is important as it is not just any ordinary conversation that will start on its own. It has to be planned ahead of time and the parties to the intervention (addict and his or her loved ones) need to be taken into confidence that it is important for them to participate in it.
- The most crucial step of staging an intervention is to find an intervention specialist who will direct the structured conversation. Intervention specialists will also help push the dialogue further in case of any awkward situation or a stalemate. It is the role of the intervention specialist to make sure that both parties feel confident in that they are not the ones who are being subjected to undue pressure.
- Both parties should be encouraged to make notes of what they are going to say. This helps the intervention specialist in knowing how he or she is going to direct the course of dialogue. Notes also help in deciding how the desired outcomes will be achieved and how to determine what’s going on in the minds of the involved people.
- Deciding on a neutral meeting place is important so that both parties are comfortable in that meeting place. If either one of the parties is uncomfortable, they will not be able to talk freely about their feelings openly.
- Have a backup plan ready that in case things go unplanned or become violent. Decide ahead of time what should be done to counter the situation and its negative effects.
- Setting up a follow up meeting is important. No matter what results from the initial meeting, it is important to follow up with constructive goals.
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/how-to-stage-an-intervention/
Should A Person Get Inpatient Or Outpatient Treatment?
The term inpatient means that the person who is suffering from an addiction disease must be admitted to hospital so that they can be intimately supervised during their detox and recovery. Whereas the term outpatient means that the treatment does not necessitate hospital admittance and can be executed outside of hospital grounds. Inpatient treatment is also called residential treatment.
Benefits of Inpatient Rehab Treatment:
Inpatient treatments have several potential advantages over outpatient rehab. Treatment often involves a stay of 28 days, although the actual duration depends on the conditions, diagnosis, insurance coverage and requirements etc. The patient will be under the care of specialist counselors 24 hours a day. This kind of treatment can be intense as your entire life at the rehab clinic is focused around recovery. One of the most important advantages of inpatient treatment is that you are removed from your prior association and the worries of daily life.
Drawbacks of Inpatient Treatment:
There are also some disadvantages of inpatient treatment. You cannot come and go as you please. You have to stay in a strict and ordered environment which dictates every action you take during your stay. This can be undesirable for some people but it is also important for recovery in some cases. There is also the challenge of taking time off work. Some employers may not cater to the addicts need for treatment.
Outpatient Treatment and its Benefits:
Outpatient treatment is very similar in many ways to inpatient treatment but without the level of restrictions. This allows for the patient to retain their job and family obligations which might be critical if the addict is the breadwinner for a family.
There are many benefits to outpatient treatment. The patient retains the ability to perform their daily duties which may include caring for children or parents and maintaining a job. Counseling sessions are usually held during the evening and on weekends to accommodate for work and school. The addict can start applying what they learn to daily life immediately. This type of treatment can also be much more affordable.
Drawbacks of Outpatient treatment:
The major disadvantage to outpatient treatment is the fact that the drug user will not be removed from their normal life situation. Any associations or triggers that motivate drug use will remain and may potentially act as pitfalls for the addict. It’s often common day to day worries that will drive an addict to relapse. Success of one treatment over another varies from person to person, but if the addiction is very severe or the user has been addicted for a very long time, outpatient rehab might not be effective.
What sort of addiction treatment is right for you?
When considering which type of addiction treatment is the right choice consider that you might not be qualified to decide. A medical professional is going to be able to make a much more educated decision. Receiving the proper treatment is vital to recovery and recovery is vital for life. This is a big decision and shouldn’t be taken lightly. Both types of rehab treatment have their place and both can be very effective for beating addiction. It’s time to consult a professional who can help you make the right choice for your unique situation.
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/inpatient-vs-outpatient-rehab/
Finding the right addiction treatment option is most likely the most important step in an addicts recovery journey. Every year, thousands of people enter drug rehab treatment for recovery. Rehab plays a huge role in guiding the addicted person towards a life free from drug abuse or alcohol. It can be overwhelming when making a treatment decision. That is why it’s so important to educate yourself on the options available.
Rehab may be a drastic life change
Desperate times call for desperate measures and rehab is no different. Treatment may call for a major overhaul of a persons life. Inpatient rehab facilities, which require the the addict live at the facility for a month or more, may cause the patient to feel afraid of committing to treatment. This fear is only exacerbated by the fact that the addict is most likely already mental and physically drained by their addiction. It’s important for the addicted person to understand that it is a disease they are suffering from. Sick people need professional treatment to recover. If an addict is not yet in rehab it is critical that they ignore their apprehensions and seek help.
In an effort to avoid treatment many drug addicts will try to beat the disease through sheer force of will. This absolutely won’t work. Doing so will ultimately result in relapse and the drug use will return with a vengeance. Each time the user returns to using it is often much worse than before. It may be painful but treatment is the only answer.
There are number of things you should know about when going to rehab. Some of them are as follows:
- Follow the rules and regulations – First and foremost, you must follow the rules while enrolled in rehab. You should accept that the rules are there for a reason and the reason is your recovery. The rules in rehab provide a structured environment which allows the drug addict to focus every ounce of their energy and focus into recovery.
- Follow the advice of the counselor – It’s important to follow all the advice provided by your counselor. They are professionals and have experience and success dealing with your exact situation. Your counselor’s instruction will speed up the recovery process as they have your quick recovery at heart.
- Always ask questions – As stated, all your mental energy should be focused on recovery. That means any confusion, frustration, or fear will only slow down the process. In an effort to reduce stress, make sure to ask questions about anything you are unfamiliar with. This will help make your stay pleasant.
Try to be friendly – While in rehab try not to take out your anger and frustration on the staff. This will likely be a very difficult time for you and the staff is trained to handle these sorts of things, however the more effort they can focus on your recovery the more success you will have. On the other hand it is very important to find some outlet for your frustration so make sure to bring it up to your counselor so that he or she is aware and can help you work through it.
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/02/20/what-should-i-know-about-going-to-rehab/
Wednesday, January 18, 2017
New webpage aims to help Horry County residents struggling with addiction – WBTW – Myrtle Beach and Florence SC
WBTW – Myrtle Beach and Florence SC
New webpage aims to help Horry County residents struggling with addiction
WBTW – Myrtle Beach and Florence SC
MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WBTW) – The City of Myrtle Beach says a new webpage is available to area residents struggling with opioid addiction, pain medication addiction, and Heroin addiction. Wednesday, in a post to the Myrtle Beach City Government …
and more »
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/new-webpage-aims-to-help-horry-county-residents-struggling-with-addiction-wbtw-myrtle-beach-and-florence-sc/
METALLICA’s JAMES HETFIELD Narrates Documentary About Impact Of Pornography Addiction – BLABBERMOUTH.NET
METALLICA’s JAMES HETFIELD Narrates Documentary About Impact Of Pornography Addiction
METALLICA’s James Hetfield has narrated a new documentary which takes a sobering look at the impact pornography addiction is having on the individual and on cultures around the world. "Addicted To Porn: Chasing The Cardboard Butterfly" is the fifth …
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/metallicas-james-hetfield-narrates-documentary-about-impact-of-pornography-addiction-blabbermouth-net/
Marshall adds director of addiction services to medical school
Huntington Herald Dispatch
HUNTINGTON — Robert H. Hansen, a longtime executive leader in behavioral health and the nonprofit sector, has been named director of addiction services at the Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine and Marshall Health, the university …
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/marshall-adds-director-of-addiction-services-to-medical-school-huntington-herald-dispatch/
Apologizes to wife Khloe Kardashian for “all that wasted time and all that wasted energy” – RollingStone.com
Apologizes to wife Khloe Kardashian for "all that wasted time and all that wasted energy"
Before Lamar Odom voluntarily checked into rehab last month, he appeared on an episode of The Doctors to talk about his battle with addiction. In the interview, the former Los Angeles Lakers star revealed he "wasn’t in a good place mentally" before he …
Rehabbed Lamar Odom Compares Drug Addiction To Suicide, Vows To Get Khloe Back [VIDEO]Hip-Hop Wired
all 11 news articles »
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/apologizes-to-wife-khloe-kardashian-for-all-that-wasted-time-and-all-that-wasted-energy-rollingstone-com/
Anthem Inc. Sets Aggressive Goals to Help Prevent Addiction, Increase Access to Care – Yahoo Finance
Anthem Inc. Sets Aggressive Goals to Help Prevent Addiction, Increase Access to Care
More people in the United States are suffering from opioid addiction and dying from overdose than ever before. Anthem, Inc. has been identifying ways to help consumers better access treatment while also putting into place policy changes that help …
and more »
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/anthem-inc-sets-aggressive-goals-to-help-prevent-addiction-increase-access-to-care-yahoo-finance/
Walker County man speaks out on addiction, recovery
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WIAT) — In a story you’ll see only on CBS42, a former drug addict is speaking out in hopes of saving a life, especially after in his home county there were more than 20 overdoses in one weekend last month. When Zac Langley graduated …
To read more like Walker County man speaks out on addiction, recovery – WIAT 42 visit AddictionTreatment.Education
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/walker-county-man-speaks-out-on-addiction-recovery-wiat-42/
Lorain addiction clinic to test new pain device to help with opiate withdrawal
A Lorain addiction and mental health treatment center plans to be the first in Northeast Ohio to offer a new pain device designed to help with opiate withdrawal. The BRIDGE medical device is a non-narcotic method to reduce or eliminate withdrawal pain …
and more »
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/lorain-addiction-clinic-to-test-new-pain-device-to-help-with-opiate-withdrawal-newsnet5-com/
Frederick County woman creates film on addiction
Knight said she was a Special Education teacher at a Frederick County school, when her addiction began. Now that she is sober, she said she is back mentoring young people and teachers at Frederick County Schools. Knight said she hopes to bring the film …
To read more like Frederick County woman creates film on addiction – WUSA9.com visit AddictionTreatment.Education
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/frederick-county-woman-creates-film-on-addiction-wusa9-com/
Tuesday, January 17, 2017
CKNW News Talk 980
Stories from the other side: Voices of addiction and recovery
CKNW News Talk 980
But while the face of addiction has become the mean streets of the Downtown Eastside, thousands of faceless others are silently fighting to get clean in treatment centres, and learning to live sober through recovery programs. On a quiet South Surrey …
and more »
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/stories-from-the-other-side-voices-of-addiction-and-recovery-cknw-news-talk-980/
Opioid addiction: Buncombe Commissioners hear scope of problem
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (WLOS) — Buncombe County commissioners got a stunning report Tuesday about opioid addiction. Almost all of the statistics they heard were getting worse. Commissioners said the most shocking stat was the number of babies born with …
and more »
To read more like Opioid addiction: Buncombe Commissioners hear scope of problem – WLOS visit AddictionTreatment.Education
from WordPress https://addictiontreatmenteducation.wordpress.com/2017/01/18/opioid-addiction-buncombe-commissioners-hear-scope-of-problem-wlos/